Star Fruit trees - also known as Carambola, 5 cornered fruit and Starfruit - produce an absolutely delicious tasting and gorgeous to look at fruit! A wonderful addition to the home garden or orchard, they are heavy croppers with refreshing, sweet, juicy fruit.
When sliced, the fruit looks just like a star and look fantastic on a cheese and fruit platter, topping a pavlova or in a fruit salad. It can also be used in chutneys and preserves.
The trees will take around 4 years to begin producing fruit, and once they start, you may get two crops a year; they are a heavy copper.
Please contact us if you have any questions about buying this fruit tree.
- Scientific Name
- Averrhoa Carambola
- Also Known As
- Starfruit, Star Fruit, Carambola, 5 Cornered Fruit
- Fruiting Months
- March, April, May, June, July, August (calendar)
- Purchase Height
- 40-50 cms
- Maximum Height
- 2-5 metres
- Pot Size
- 0.5 Litre
- Propagation Method
Top Tips for Planting
- Requires well drained soil with lots of organic matter.
- Daily watering on soil above existing root area is required especially in the first 12-16 weeks whilst becoming established.
Top Tips for Growing
- Plant in full sun with shelter from strong winds.
- Fertilize regularly.
Is it suitable for growing in pots?
Starfruit can be grown successfully in a large pot.
How much water does it require?
When will it start fruiting?
Fruit Trees make Great Gifts!
How about giving a Fruit Tree for someone's birthday or special occasion?
For something extra special, you can choose a tree that will bear fruit around that time.
Check out our Fruiting Calendar to find the perfect variety.